Many will be aware that Enoch’s ‘epitaph’ was that he “walked with God” (Genesis 5v24). Micah reminds us that the Lord’s requirements of us include “to walk humbly with your God” (6v8). Paul also encourages us to “keep in step with the Spirit” (Galatians 5v25). Whilst glancing though this week’s electronic version of the Baptist Times I came across an article describing 5 aspects of walking with God which are summarised below:
- Companionship. To walk with someone suggests friendship and conversation; it is an act of sharing. Are we enjoying close companionship with God or are distractions, sins, laziness etc. spoiling our friendship with Him?
- Progress. People who are walking are moving (hopefully forward!) – they are not static or stagnating. Are we always seeking to move on with God?
- Protection. How safe we are when we walk with God. Bad things may still happen to us but we are secure by the side / in the hands of our loving Heavenly Father.
- Effort. All walking involves an element of exertion and at times the Christian pathway is tough. May we not give up but instead cling especially tightly to God’s hand.
- Destination. We are walking with God towards a glorious future home which Jesus is preparing for us (John 14v2). There is something / somewhere infinitely, unimaginably greater ahead of us.
May we all keep walking with God!
Peace and Grace