We give thanks today for the ‘harvest’ although, of course, we are blessed here in the UK being able to enjoy each day, throughout the year, the fruits of the global harvest. Sadly, many across the world go hungry – yet we continue to have access to an abundance of food. Such abundance reflects God’s bountiful provision – there is more than enough food produced worldwide for everyone, but greed and waste and inequitable trading arrangements deny millions what they need. We cannot blame God for this – in fact I’m reminded of an experiment we conducted at a harvest service some years ago when I asked Norman and Margaret to count how many seeds were in a melon. I recall they counted to 470 and then gave up! But what potential multiplication and fruitfulness!
Talking of harvest abundance do meditate on these verses, not just today but throughout the year:
- Genesis 8v22: “As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease.”
- Psalm 145v7: They will celebrate Your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of Your righteousness.
- Luke 12v15: “Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”
- Romans 5v17: …. how much more will those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift or righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ.
- Jude 2: Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.
Peace and Grace